6.11.2008

I've Been Tagged!

I'm so excited to have been Tagged for the first time by Strawberry Hill Runner. How exciting! Here we go...

1- How would you describe your running 10 years ago?
In 1998 I was a biker bitch. A yuppie biker bitch, but a Fat Boy Harley riding chick, nonetheless. Running was not anywhere in my vocabulary.

2-What is your best and worst run/race experience?
My best race experience...I've had a lot of great races...times maybe not so great-but the experience was. I love the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco-the course is beautiful and so fun. I'm running it again this fall with my best friend, Karen. This will be her first marathon so I'm going to call this as 'going to be' my best race experience.

My worst race experience...hmmm...I can't say that I've had a worst race experience, but a bad experience was my very first marathon...the Portland (OR) marathon. I got to around mile 16 and was having horrible back pains along with ankle/foot issues. I could hardly walk, let alone run. Doug and I got to around mile 19 and I was crying. I had actually read a very inspirational banner they had hanging from one of the bridges and with the emotions of your first marathon, it all came crumbling down. Poor Doug...he turned to me and asked, "are you crying cuz you're in pain or are you crying cuz you know you're going to finish?" Sobbing...I said, "Yeessssss". We finished, we got back to the hotel room, showered, went to eat and then I went back to the hotel room and crashed. Crashed for 18 hours! AND...it was our first anniversary! Poor Doug. Luckily we were able to spend some time before and after the marathon exploring the Portland area and had a great time visiting the wineries, waterfalls and coastline.

Come to find out, after returning to Kansas City, I went to the chiropractor for the first time, Dr. Reed in Lee's Summit. He's the BEST. He aligned me and proceeded to tell me I had twisted my ankle at some point, hence the pain. After he readjusted me, I was good to go! Never have I had the back pain or foot pain I had then. So...if that is the worst race experience I ever have...I'll take it!

3- Why do you run?
As some of you know, I have that posted on my blog...
I run for me...I run for fun...I run to chit chat with friends-new and old...I run for charity...I run to clear my mind...I run to run with my honey...I run to gain strength...I run to smell the fall leaves...I run for red red wine...I run to taste the falling snow...I run to sweat...I run to smell the flowers...I run because I love it...I run to see the sun rise and/or set...I run...

4- What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?
Vaseline is your friend!

5- Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.
By the name of my blog everyone knows I'm not the fastest runner. BUT...I did place 1st..YES...1st in my age group in a half marathon I ran! I got the coolest trophy too. That's surprising isn't it!? I know...I know...I'll take a bow for you now...

Okay...something NOT too surprising...there were only 2 of us in my age group! LOL!!

Now I'm supposed to tag 5 other people so these are the people whose answers I'd really like to read:

Doug
Jenny
Laurel
Topher
Rachelle

Here are the guidelines: If you have been tagged, you will find your name above. You should then, copy the rules (or your version of them), and the set of questions onto your blog post, provide your own answers, and then tag 5 new people.
Just to be sure that everyone tagged knows they have been invited to play, go to their blogs and leave them a special comment letting them know, and refer them to your blog for details.
One more thing, once they've answered the questions on their own blog, they should come back to yours to tell you.

That was fun!

8 comments:

  1. ok, so was the vaseline the best or worst advice you were ever given?

    I, too, won my age group once. only because i was the *only* one in my age group. got a nice wood plaque.

    by the way, i accept. i was tagged by another runner the other day, so luckily i'm already working on my responses. they're sure to disappoint, though, so just be ready for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Topher-We're awesome with our first place finishes! LOL!

    Vaseline-I would have to say that's good advice! As you train for your marathon...you'll understand! And you need band aids on your boobs if you don't already know about that!

    A funny story about vaseline...Doug was mentoring a team (before his position of head coach with TNT) that had a girl who was training for her first marathon. A very normal circumstance for TNT. This girl heard about needing to vaseline those precious spots that may become chafed so she lubed up big time...a little too much. She did her run and then stopped off at the grocery store. While standing in line she had some lady who was standing behind her whisper to her, "ma'am...I think you may have an issue, you have soaked through your shorts". This poor thing lubed up so much with vaseline that it soaked through her shorts! Knowing that she couldn't turn to the lady and tell her, "it's okay...it's just vaseline", as she didn't want to scare the lady, she just said, "thank you" and rushed home to take a shower and change shorts! So lubing with vaseline is good...too much lubing-bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys. You've been good sports!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kim,

    Can you tell I haven't checked your blog or mine lately? I finished my responses to your questions but they aren't the most exciting answers!

    ReplyDelete