3.27.2008

Silent Auction and TNR Tonight

Tonight is my team's silent auction at Waldo Pizza's Tap Room at 75th and Wornall. By my team I mean I am mentoring a group of runner's who are training for a marathon (or half marathon) for the Rock 'N Roll San Diego Marathon June 1st while they fundraise for The Leukemia & Leukemia Society. Most of these are first timers who have never run a step in their life before TNT. Ohhh...how I remember that feeling. It wasn't that long ago that I thought people who ran marathons were mentally ill. Why would you want to ever do that? Now I know. Now I love it. Now I don't know what I would do without it. My team this season is great. A lot of upbeat and fun people I love and have taken under my wing to guide them through this process. It is so rewarding to mentor someone up to and through their first marathon and see them accomplish something that thought was such a far reach...something just months before, they had doubts they could even do it. The look on their face as they cross the finish line is priceless. So come out and support great people doing great things tonight. It's hard to pass up great pizza, beer and bidding on fabulous auction items.

TNR? Short for Thursday Night Run. I love our TNR's. There is a core group of us that come out every Thursday night, run several miles and then sit down and have a bit to eat at a local establishment. Steff and Jenny are the glue of this team. I look forward to seeing them every week and hearing what is happening in their lives.

There are two sets of smelly workout clothes in the hamper from last night. Yesterday afternoon Doug and I decided to take our run to the Gardner High School. This is where the start of the Olathe Marathon will be. Doug is on the Olathe Marathon Committee and is in charge of the start line so he needed to stop off and check out the layout of his canvas for Saturday morning. After our run we came home and I changed out of my stinky running clothes into a new set of work out clothes for yoga. At yoga I got to chit chatting with some of the girls about working out. The subject of my marathon came up and it amazed me of what people didn't know about marathoning. How many times have you told people...a marathon is always 26.2 miles. Even my instructor (who teachs aerobics and yoga classes all day every day) didn't seem to be aware of marathoning. One of my fellow yogis inqired if I was going to run it inside. Uh no...People who do not run have no concept. It's rather amusing and reminds me of this quote, "people ask why I run. I say, If you have to ask, you will never understand. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." Erin Leonard

To a great day...

1 comment:

  1. TNR is one of things that I really look forward to every week... I can't wait to see what kind of goodies you guys will have at the auction tonight!

    ReplyDelete