11.27.2008

Thanksgiving Day 5K Run and Family Stroll

What a fabulous day for a 5K. The sun was shining. The skies were blue. The temperature... perfect.

I met Karen and her family about 10 minutes before the start. The boys (ages 3 and 4)...oh how they were so excited. They had on their 'race shirts' and had their race numbers pinned on. They were racing today. Fric said he was running 18. 18 miles he said. Think he's been listening to his mother? Frac knew exactly how far he was going...5. I asked, "a 5K, right?" "Yep!" They were ready to go. We were in the back as Karen's husband had the stroller with the boys in tow. And when I say the back. I mean the back. There were over 1000 people ahead of us.

We walked to the start line with the boys and then Karen and I took off. I say took off but not so fast. There were walkers from one side of the street to the other. Hundreds of them. For miles. 3.1 miles. So we decided to run in the median to dodge the majority of the walkers. It was packed the whole way. There was not one point where we weren't dodging someone. It was fun to see so many people out on Thanksgiving morning burning some calories before the big feast. It seemed that everyone was really enjoying themselves.

We even had water stops. Yes...for real. Ha! At the end of mile 1 and 2. It cracks me up every year to see people stopping to get some hydration. Needless to say-we didn't stop.

I pushed Karen hard today. As hard as I could trying to run in and out of runners, walkers, kids and strollers. I really think she was ready to kick me in the butt. More than once. But after we crossed the finish line, I did get a thank you.

Then we waited for the boys to finish. They had a good time. But their race was coming up soon and we headed to the field to get them ready. Frac's race number was wrinkled and he needed it to be straight before he could run. Before you could blink, there they went. Probably 30 kids 4 and under racing. It was so funny to see those little legs running as fast as they could go. They had the best time and had such a feeling of accomplishment and excitement. That was the best part of the whole morning.

Can't wait for next year.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

I am thankful for everything I have in life. I have everything I need and just about everything I want. I couldn't ask for anything more than what I already do. I am very fortunate and thankful.

A few things I'm thankful for:
  • Family and Friends
  • A Warm Bed to Sleep In
  • Puppy Kisses
  • Having a Job
  • Those Serving for Our Freedom
  • Good Health and Happiness
  • Having Money to Blow on Running Shoes and Travels

No comments:

Post a Comment