4.06.2008

GO! St. Louis Half Marathon Race Report

I'm not sure how else to describe it besides FUN! The day started out around 5:00 am. I got up and got around as Doug headed downstairs fairly early to meet up with the team. By 6:00 am we were taking team pictures and walking down to the starting line. I had dressed in shorts, a short sleeved shirt with a throw away long sleeved cotton tee on top. I topped it off with gloves and a do-rag. We stepped outside and you couldn't have asked for a better morning-not hot, not cold but just a little nip in the air.

The gun went off on time and it took us about 10 minutes to get to the start line. Karen and I took off nice and easy as we wanted to make sure we didn't head out too fast. As we picked up the miles, we were on a steady pace and feeling good. Karen's great about staying steady and we did just that.

It didn't take long for me to lose my gloves and long sleeve tee as we warmed up fast and the sun came out. It never got too hot. It was perfect. There was a slight breeze blowing and all was well. There are two major out and backs that make up the majority of the half marathon. I'm not a big out and back person, but it was nice because we were able to see the leaders of the marathon zoom by. Talk about amazing! I can't ever imagine. But it's so fun to watch them fly by.

We kicked this course's butt this year as last year it kicked ours. We knocked 49 MINUTES OFF our time this year from last year! WHOO HOOO!!


We saw Stacy and Emily cheering on the course as well as Doug coaching. It sounds as if everyone had a great day. As I sit here, it looks as if the Cardinals have another home game today-the stadium is filling up and it is a sea of red everywhere the eye can see.

Karen and I are getting ready to head to lunch and wait for Doug to bring in the last of our marathoners, which should be soon, and then we're heading home. Counting down two more days until the Royals home opener! Go Royals!

1 comment:

  1. 49 minutes off of last years time?? What a difference a year makes - WOW!!

    ReplyDelete